AUN is a member of the International Center for Academic Integrity. The University also has been admitted into the international membership category of the Council of Independent Colleges (CIC), a US-based association of more than 600 non-profit colleges and universities.
- 2011 Distinguished Leadership Award in Educational Excellence by African leadership Magazine, UK. July 31, 2011.
- Nomination [President Ensign/AUN] for the International Award of Society Development and Commendation by the Africa Millennium Development Evaluation Conference (AMIDEC). August 29 - 30, 2011.
- Invitation [from US Embassy] to join Fulbright Affiliate institutions in Nigeria. November 18, 2011
- Invitation [from Commonwealth Education Partnerships] to participate in the 2012 Commonwealth Education Partnerships initiative, Mauritius, August 2012.
- Africa Leading University of the Year Award - 2012, by Africa Leadership Magazine. October 7, 2012.
- The Best Digital Library Services in Nigeria Award - 2012, by Committee of University Librarians of Nigerian Universities (CULNU). November 22, 2012.
- Nomination for the Award of “Best University in Development in Africa,” by the African Development Magazine. March 11, 2013.
- Innovative International Library Project Award, by the American Library Association (ALA). June 27 to July 2, 2013.
- Most Outstanding University in Nigeria Award, by National Association of Oduduwa Students (NAOS). August 22, 2013.
- The Pillar of Education Award [President Margee Ensign], by National Association of Oduduwa Students (NAOS). August 22, 2013.
- 2013 African Leading Development Institute Award, by African Leadership Magazine. September 25, 2013.
- Special feature on AUN in “University libraries: 10 global portraits," The Guardian, UK. 7 August 2013.
AUN is in partnership with Tulane University in New Orleans, one of the top institutions in the United States. Other partner institutions include American University (Washington, D.C.), George Mason University, Oxford University, Kansas State University, Eastern Mediterranean University, and John Cabot University in Italy.
With these partnerships, exchange programs have been designed in order to enable students to attend school at home and abroad.