Department: School of IT & Computing (SITC)
Reports to: Dean SITC
SUMMARY OF THE POSITION
This position will teach both required and elective Computer Science & Software Engineering courses in our undergraduate and graduate programs. A strong commitment to excellence in teaching and research is expected. Areas of teaching emphasis include: Computer Architecture, Programming Languages, Design and Analysis of Algorithms, Data Structures, Advanced Database Systems, Theory of Computation, Artificial Intelligence, Data Science, Data Analytics, Mobile Application Development, Software Testing, Software Requirements Analysis, Software architecture, and Machine Learning. In addition; S/he must exhibit a strong commitment and willingness to engage students within and beyond the walls of the traditional classroom in accordance with the university’s policy and procedure.
DETAILED LISTING OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- Teach assigned courses as specified in the schedule and course content and in line with areas of expertise and demonstrable knowledge.
- Evaluate and select texts and instructional materials; prepare course materials and lesson plans
- Provide students an approved syllabus that includes course objectives and learning outcomes, teaching methodology, attendance policies in line with those of the School, texts and readings, assignments and deliverables, timelines and evaluation criteria
- Use the established learning management system to support student learning and course administration online enabling students access to course syllabi, learning items and supplementary online resources as well as promoting learning through continuous interactions amongst students and with faculty and continuous assessment on learning progress.
- Deliver course content using a variety of teaching styles and provide interesting and engaging assignments that demonstrate the real-world applications of concepts covered
- Observe and evaluate student performance in meeting course objectives and learning outcomes through assignments, projects, discussions or examinations; provide feedback in a timely manner on student progress
- Be available for student consultation through office hours or scheduled appointments or by phone or email
- Maintain records of enrolment and attendance, assessments and grades, submit class rosters and grade sheets by established deadlines
- Encourage students to submit course evaluations, review course evaluations when available and use feedback to improve course delivery
- Revise and update course content as needed.
- Actively contribute to course syllabus and curriculum upgrades working with program chair, dean and school-wide curriculum committee.
- Prior experience supervising graduate and doctoral students would be an added advantage.
- Initiate and conduct innovative research leading to publications in top-tier refereed journals and award of external research grants;
- Engage in research collaborations both locally and internationally;
- Participate in professional services to the academic community and support activities that promote and foster links with the profession in the industry and community.
- Contribute to departmental strategic areas and activities.
- Undertake departmental administrative duties; and
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Head of Department or his delegates.
- Submit an annual performance review
- A commitment to continually updating skillsets and knowledge in the fast-paced IT & Computing area.
- Industry experience is a plus for Computer Science faculty and a Must for Software Engineering faculty
- For the rank of Senior Lecturer or Associate Professor strong evidence of student supervisions at graduate level and success at grant writing is needed.
Requirements for the position:
- Hold a PhD degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, IT or closely related field
- Have at least three years of work experience in higher education after obtaining a PhD – as a teacher and/or researcher
- Have a proven record of academic publications in good journals and/or reputable international conferences in computing.
- Prior teaching experience in a graduate or undergraduate program and corporate training is expected
- Ability and experience teaching across disciplines (e.g. Computer science, software engineering, Information systems.) is a plus.
- Experience of American educational system is a plus.
Other requirements, abilities for the position:
- Current knowledge of the relevant discipline
- Commitment to excellence in teaching and mentoring students
- Ability to respond to the needs of learners from a variety of educational backgrounds in a multicultural environment
- Ability to deliver course outcomes and content through a variety of teaching/learning styles
- Ability to use technology effectively in teaching
- Respect for students and a genuine interest in their learning
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Good organizational skills and timeliness in responding to student inquiries
- Ability to establish and maintain effective interpersonal relationships with students and colleagues
- Operate computers and other office equipment and technology
- Proven experience and success in teaching in a variety of delivery formats, including face-to-face, online, and blended technologies is preferred
The American University of Nigeria was founded in response to the need for a world-class university in sub-Saharan Africa. The University’s mission is to provide quality education to Nigeria and Africa’s future leaders in order to equip them with the skills needed to solve development issues on the continent, and give them the knowledge needed to create solutions that will benefit their community, their country and, ultimately, the world.
The goal of AUN is to train the future leaders of Africa and to serve as both a stimulus and agent of economic development throughout the region.
To that end, all students, regardless of academic specialization, will receive high-level training in information technology, entrepreneurship and in arts and sciences, all of which are the key to future sustainable development. AUN is committed to providing the skills and the leadership essential to advancing the continent's pressing social and economic challenges.
For more information about AUN and the School of IT & Computing please visit: www.aun.edu.ng
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATION