Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What happens when I get documented by RAs, RDs, or the Office of Public Safety?'

A: If you are documented (written up) by any of the above member, the Office of Judicial Affairs will receive that report. The report will be reviewed for potential violations of the Student Conduct Code or Residential Life Rules and Regulations. A hearing officer will schedule a meeting with you based on your class schedule to discuss the incident with you. In that meeting, the hearing officer will ask you for information about the incident to determine your involvement in and responsibility for the violation(s). If you are found responsible for violating any section of the Student Conduct Code or Residential Life Rules and Regulations, you will be given sanctions that you will be required to complete. Sanctions include written warnings, disciplinary probation, community service, attendance at educational workshops and a variety of other activities. More information about sanctions can be found in the student conduct code.

Q: What happens if I miss my judicial meeting?

A: If you miss a meeting with your hearing officer, he/she may make a decision on your case without the benefit of your input. If you know you will not be able to attend a meeting, please contact your hearing officer as soon as possible to reschedule. If you miss a meeting, your hearing officer will send you a sanction letter with the outcome of your judicial incident and any sanctions you will need to complete. You are expected to complete any assigned sanctions if you were not at your meeting.

Q: How do I know what I have to do for my judicial sanction?

A: In your meeting with your hearing officer, he or she will discuss with you your sanctions and the deadline by which you need to complete them. After you meet with your hearing officer, you will be sent a letter via email that summarizes your meeting. This letter will include whether or not you were found responsible for any violations and specific information on your sanctions, including your deadlines and any other information you will need to complete them (web address, paper specification, community service contact information, etc). It is your responsibility to complete your sanctions by the given deadline. If you lose your letter or forget your requirements, you must contact your hearing officer or Judicial Affairs to retrieve that information. Failure to complete your sanctions as outlined in your letter will result in further judicial action.

Q: Can I appeal my Residence Directors decision regarding my judicial incident?

A: If you were sanctioned for violations of the Student Conduct Code or received sanctions of expulsion, suspension, deferred suspension, removal from housing, restriction, or reassignment for violations of the Residential Life Rules and Regulations, you are eligible to request a Conduct Review Board hearing, but this is not an appeal of your original decision it is an entirely new hearing. If you received any other sanctions for violations of the Residential Life Rules and Regulations, the decision of your hearing officer is final.

Q: What is a Conduct Review Board hearing?

A: A Conduct Review Board hearing is a formal judicial hearing. Students who are charged under the Student Conduct Code or students who are charged under the Residential Life Rules and Regulations and receive a sanction of expulsion, suspension, and deferred suspension, removal from housing, restriction, or reassignment are eligible to request a CRB hearing. If a CRB hearing is requested, the original sanction is voided and the judicial case is heard again. Hearing officers for CRB hearings are called Justices. Five justices will serve on a CRB. For non-academic cases, there will be three student justices, one faculty justice and one staff justice. For academic cases, there will be two student justices, two faculty justices and one staff justice. A CRB hearing is not an appeal, but is considered an entirely new case. Justices are not informed of the outcome of the original hearing.

Q: Where should I turn in any papers or projects I had to complete as part of a judicial sanction?

A: You should turn all judicial paperwork into the Judicial Affairs office in EE basement room 100, unless otherwise specified by your hearing officer.

Q: What happens if I do not complete my judicial sanction?

A: If you do not complete an assigned judicial sanction you will be subject to further judicial consequences. These may include being reassigned the original sanction as well as additional sanctions. If you think you are going to have trouble completing your sanctions by your assigned deadline, please contact your hearing officer as soon as possible to discuss the situation.

Q: What is Disciplinary Probation and how will it affect me?

Disciplinary Probation is a formal written notice that a student is in poor judicial standing with the College. Students who are on or have been on Probation may receive greater judicial sanctions if they have further violations of the Student Conduct Code or the Residential Life Rules and Regulations. Disciplinary Probation could also result in a loss of privileges within the University community. In addition, Disciplinary Probation may affect your eligibility to hold leadership roles in various organizations (Student Government/Senior Class/Residence Life).

Q: Do my parents get notified if I have a judicial incident?

A: The University reserves the right to notify parents of judicial incidents and sanctions. If a student's ability to remain in housing or at the college is in jeopardy, his or her parents will be notified. Additionally, if there is a concern for the student's health and safety or how the student is impacting the community, parents will be notified. The University uses parental notification as a helpful tool for creating partnerships and opportunities for success for our students.

Q: Why did I get a different judicial outcome than someone who did the exact same thing?

A: Many factors impact how sanctions are determined for individual students, including their level of involvement in an incident and their previous judicial history.

Q: How long are my judicial records maintained?

A: All Judicial records files are maintained permanently.